A crisp pastry shell made with olive oil and sundried tomato paste with extra mature Cheddar, filled with a colourful array of roasted vegetables with lots of delicious extra mature Farmhouse Cheddar and topped with crunchy pumpkin seeds. Truly scrumptious!
Makes: 1 x 25cm open tart
Preparation Time: 40 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
½ Butternut squash
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves Garlic
Sprigs Thyme and oregano
125g/5oz Canned flageolet beans, drained
25g/1oz Pumpkin seeds
Olive Oil Pastry
225g/8oz Plain flour
5 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp Sun dried tomato paste
50g/2oz West Country Farmhouse Extra Mature Cheddar
4 tbsp Cold water
2 Egg yolks
3 Medium size eggs
150ml/¼ pt Soured cream
3 tbsp Sun dried tomato paste
110g/ 4oz Extra Mature Farmhouse Cheddar, grated
Fresh grated nutmeg and ground black pepper
1. Peel butternut squash, remove seeds and cut squash and aubergine into dice sized cubes. Cover loosely with wetted baking parchment and oven roast with the garlic and herbs in the olive oil for about 30 minutes until just soft. Squeeze cooked garlic out of its skin to make a paste and stir into the roasted vegetables with the flageolet beans.
2. Whilst vegetables are roasting prepare the pastry. Place flour in a large bowl and stir in the remaining ingredients with a fork and bring together by hand to make a pastry. Transfer to a work surface lightly dusted with flour and lightly knead until smooth. Roll out and use to line a 25cm loose base flan tin.
3. Rest flan on a preheated baking sheet and blind bake the pastry for 20 minutes at 200°C/400°F/ Gas Mark 6 is until the pastry base starts to cook and loose its doughy raw pastry appearance.
4. Place roasted vegetables into flan. Combine custard ingredients together and pour over the vegetables. Sprinkle liberally with the pumpkin seeds.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 190°C/ 375°F/ Gas Mark 5 and cook for 30 minutes or until the filling has set and is lightly golden.
6. Serve with a crisp green salad and new potatoes.